Johnson High School is located on the East Side of Saint Paul. It has served this part of the city as a high school since 1897. The present building is this school's third site and was constructed in 1963. The first building burned to the ground and was replaced by a building that is still in use by the district. The first name of the school was Grover Cleveland High School. Later the name was changed to John A. Johnson High School to honor a popular, Swedish, Minnesota governor who died in office just as the second building was under construction.
As part of the celebration of Johnson’s 100th graduating class, a time line has been provided for our readers. We gratefully acknowledge the help of Roger Hallman, a local resident and volunteer at Johnson, and Paul Campbell, a member of the parent advisory committee. Both men are active in the Governor’s Club, which is the official name of the Johnson Alumni Association, and have been researching the school’s history.
Reprinted with permission from the East Side Review.
Originally published in 1997.